- 23 September 2015
- 62 views
With online video growing, what can marketers do to use the medium more effectively?
According to a report by Cisco, video will comprise 80% of global internet traffic by 2019.
Marketers can gain advantages from this: research has shown 60% of people prefer video over text – including senior business executives – while recall of the content is significantly higher. People who watch a video embedded on a website are more likely to purchase than others, and video also has a longer lifespan than other types of content – four years.
Fortunately, many companies already have some experience in using video. In fact, ReelSEO found that 93% of marketers were already doing so back in 2013, and 70% were looking to increase spending on the medium.
For both experienced hands and newcomers, here are a few suggestions for making video more effective:
- Hook the viewer immediately: the National Center for Biotechnology Information found that the average attention span is now 8.25 seconds, down from 12 seconds in the year 2000. To put that in perspective, the attention span of a goldfish is 9 seconds!
- Keep it short and sweet: the average time spent watching an internet video is 2.7 minutes.
- Make it surprising: with so much entertainment to choose from, creativity is at a premium. The right techniques might help to keep people entertained.
- Put it in the right place: choose the host for your video carefully. As the most popular site, YouTube has obvious advantages. If you intend to create regular video content, a video podcast on iTunes might be the way to go.
- Apply SEO principles to help build your audience: more views equals better rankings, so post video content to email signatures, social media feeds and other outlets.Make it surprising: with so much entertainment to choose from, creativity is at a premium. The right techniques might help to keep people entertained.
Back to all
- 62 views